fearfully and wonderfully accompanied


If I go up to the heavens, you are there; 
If I make my bed in the depths, you are there.


this verse has long confused me for the simple fact that it kind of says God will be in hell.  
right there in that second half of the verse..  if i make my bed in the depths, you are there.  i don't know about you but i read that as, if i choose to rest in the dark, God will accompany me.



depths in the NIV is translated to "hell" in the KJV from the Hebrew word sha'owl

sha'owl:  hades (or the world of the dead), grave, hell, pit


sounds like hell, yes?  ok.  so to unpack this verse, in real time, 
because each time i read it i go through this exact moment:



first, i read that He is in hell and it shocks me.

then i remind myself that He created the world, and hell is part of it

and i remind myself that He can go anywhere He may please.  




ok, but why would He ever want to be in that dead and dark place?...




unless....




unless someone that He loved was there....

unless one of His children was there....

unless I was there.




oh now i get it....   do you?





if you rise up to the heavens in glory and righteousness He is there.  if you are robed in blameless light and covered in grace with sparrows in your hair and a bowl full of sunshine, He is there.



and if you make your bed in the depths.. if you actually find rest in your sin, He is there with you.  if you fall or jump or are pushed into the snares of satan himself, and you are too weak to even move, He is there with you.  if you lay there in your sorrow and just give up for a time, He is there.  



so good, right?  rest on this today, ladies.    


>>>>>back to the Psalm and more devotionals by verse>>>>>

Popular posts from this blog

make me over//2013 ~ repent

unsettled // the september series