through the pasture// dwell in the house of the Lord


Get caught up



Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, 
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

David says that goodness and love will follow him all the days of his life.  

the word "follow" here is translated from the Hebrew word "radaph" and literally means "to be chased, pursued."  it was used in connection with the hostile action of enemies, how they are relentless.  talk about a spider-monkey kind of love, ladies.  that is how God follows us!  that is how God goes after his princes and princesses.  He doesn't just walk behind and let us know He's there from time to time.  he PURSUES.  



and isn't that what we want?  
to know that we are being pursued?  
to know that we are watched and taken care of?  
to know that someone desires fellowship with us?  


Beth made a clear point that as women, we want someone to care for us more than anything else, and yet, we are the caregivers in most cases.  ladies, God is our caregiver.  we need to know in the deepest parts of our hearts that there is someone who is relentless in love for us...  love that is not an emotion but an action.



David then closes by saying "I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever" 

to "dwell" is to "yashab".. to settle, abide, continue, endure, inhabit, lurk, remain..  it is a Hebrew word used about 1100 times throughout the Old Testament in various contexts thanks to its multiple translations and meanings.  here, i would like to believe that David is owning each use of the word when it comes to describing how he will settle into relationship with God.  

faith is not linear and neither should be our method of engaging with God.  we should be prepared to question at times, become struck by wonder, be encouraged, and be in full surrender.  knowing He wants the very best for us should allow us to be comfortable and at peace.  knowing He is eternal and all-knowing means we should be hungry for more knowledge of Him and His Word.  

to dwell, in this final verse, is to work our outward lives from the position of one who is settled, obedient, steadfast and hungry for more of that surrounding.  

to dwell is to actually take up root in His Grace and live there forever.  


The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters.
He restores my soul; He leads me in paths of righteousness for His Name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I will fear no evil for you are with me.  Your rod and your staff they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life;
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


i hope you've enjoyed the series and will read this passage a bit more personally from now on!



Popular posts from this blog

unsettled // the september series

heart-planting series//stir the ground

The many (many) miles of the first-time Detroit FreePress marathoner--