Oh if you could see the looks on your faces!

I seriously feel like this is what God is thinking sometimes.

Yes, here goes another Krilosophy session, this time on the topic of our place in this universe. This is something that is argued by virtually everyone on the earth. Whether you believe, do not believe, are trying to believe, or trying not to even talk about believing, we've all been in some kind of debate over creation.

I'm going to make it very clear right away that I'm not trying to argue anyone or anything simply because, I do not know everything. I'm only thrilled by my moment of pondering, once again. Even if I wanted to argue, there is no way that I could defend the views of creation, one side or the other. There is just too much that is unknown. Since I'm coming from a believer's standpoint, the Truth would do the defending for me. But that doesn't always fly in the stadium of science, a stadium I've played in a time or two in my past, where objective reasoning and research are the Truth. So as I said, I'm just excited by my findings, and sharing that story.




I also do not want to come across as trying to argue or debate because I'm just not good at debating in a constructive and fair way. When it comes to parallel parking, or how to load the dishwasher, I'm great at arguing. But with stuff like this, I approach it more like a little girl that just learned in school how flowers grow from seeds, and cannot wait to share it with her Grandma and Grandpa. Even if she got some of the big words wrong, or mixed up the order of the steps of photosynthesis, her excitement and eagerness to share would be just as well-received. The incorrect facts would surely be corrected. The overall message would be one of learning and celebrating life.


That little girl's epiphany, however, is a whole different story. Her first little realization that amazing things are happening on a very small level.. her joy in finding out that there are forces at work in the air and sun's rays that she cannot see.. her new-found anticipation for spring now that she knows these little details.. this would be contagious, almost sticking to your brain. This kind of thought can invade your mind's comfort zone and can take a very traditional Grandma and Grandpa team, a very set-in-their-ways team, and make them think back to the day their first grandbaby came along, in a whole new way. There are forces at work that we cannot see.. they can be studied and pondered, and some can be proven, but others are left for faith to take care of. It is from this platform and with all of that said that I present to you:

Laminin.


I know many of you probably already know of Laminin, and what an amazing thing it is! I was in the bible study that I joined as a "seeker", and though I was still in a very skeptical state of belief this first time I learned of it, I was very struck by what a coincidence the protein is. When I became a full-blown devoted believer, I left many of the unseen and unanswered parts of the world and beyond, to faith. Laminin shook me up though because it blurred that line a bit. Many of the questioners and non-believers in our group also found it very hard to reject *smile*

A quick definition of Laminin, thanks to Webster's Medical Dictionary:

"a glycoprotein that is a component of connective tissue basement membrane and that promotes cell adhesion."




In simple terms.. It is a glycoprotein that literally holds things together, and protects the tissues it resides in. Basement membranes have many functions, one of the most important being that it prevents malignant cells from invading the deeper tissues. Cell adhesion is simply that, keeping cells together. Laminin, as poetically described by fanatics, is the glue that holds us together.

And then there is it's chemical structure. You can easily see what all the fuss is about *smile*



BAM!


Hmmm-so the protein that could be the most critical component of the human system, just happens to be in the shape of a cross... I like it. Judge me if you must.



Keep that on the back burner for a moment because just around the same time we learned of Laminin, we learned Psalm 139:13-16...

13 For you created my inmost being;

you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;

your works are wonderful,

I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you

when I was made in the secret place,

when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.

16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;

all the days ordained for me were written in your book

before one of them came to be.



This is one of my favorites because I learned of it while God was "knitting" Eli together inside of me *smile* I had my creation epiphany when we revisited this Psalm in the Princess Posse. It was about mankind in general, but mostly, about Eli coming and if he truly was a gift from God, or a sin manifested, as some others had said.


A couple sidenotes about where I'm getting my info:

In this study we're learning the original text that many words are translated from by referring to Strong's Concordance throughout our lessons. Since I read the New International Version, it reads much, much differently than the original text, even though great attempts were made to keep it the same. When you misuse a word, the meaning can become very mixed up, almost turned opposite sometimes! But when I started to use the concordance to compare the words and look up their original definitions, I was floored.


And in this post, I'm using information provided by Allen D. Ross, ThD PhD, and Professor of Divinity at Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama. His explanations of the two words I'm about to dive into, in my little opinion, are more in-depth than others I found, and provide the much needed additional information to support and complete the quick definitions found in Strong's Concordance. Other resources I used are a good ole Hebrew-Greek Key Study Bible, a Hebrew-English Dictionary, and the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia.



And so I'll take you through my moment, beginning with how we came to be in the universe by bara and yatsar.



Psalm 139:13 says that He "created our inmost being." Just like "in the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth" (Gen 1:1) The original word in the biblical texts for "create" is "bara" which means: to bring something of new conditions and circumstances, or, as it seems to be pretty widely accepted, to bring something from nothing. In the supporting text for this definition, it explains that:

1) "bara" is to be used exclusively for the activity of God, and

2) in order for the emphasis of "creation of something from nothing" to be properly applied, the context must support that, not the definition itself.

I believe the first verse of the story of creation, as written, does these two things.



"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.."


The first account of activity in the Bible is the creation,
(the bringing forth of something new), of the heavens and the earth. It tells of the heavens and earth being brought into existence. And it was done by God himself. I think we should look at heaven and earth in their wholeness, and take into deep consideration what heaven and earth encompass: Everything. The earth is the platform upon which He shone light, pooled the oceans and placed life of all kinds. The heavens are essentially the atmosphere that fills the universe. If He created the particles that were later compressed into the cosmic egg that later exploded into the Big Bang, I think our all-powerful and thorough God would have breathed the words, "In the beginning, God brought a mass together in the abyss of darkness that is the universe.." or something like that. Instead, God simply created (bara) the heavens and the earth. All that we see and know came from this one sentence. I believe it has been told precisely the way it happened.


Moving on..


When "the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the earth.." (Gen 2:7), that word is "yatsar" and refers to things that are "brought forth from other already existing things." The definition actually uses the words "of the creation of individuals at conception" at one point. So He created (bara) our inmost being, our spirit, our parts that are most like Him, and He later formed (yatsar) us from the existing substances of our mothers and fathers. Yatsar in Genesis 2:7 also indicates that the activity of God’s fashioning of man was in accordance with sovereign design; the idea of forming or shaping something, according to plan, is at the heart of the meaning of the word. This is a crucial component of the placement of yatsar in scripture because it specifies that the formation of whatever follows is the product of sovereign design; extensive planning, authority, the highest desire for it's completion. He knew us before we were ever conceived. Using bara and yatsar, He planned us, designed us, and then shaped us.

Me being a big bang person before, I correct myself now because, in order for the big bang to have some justification as the means by which the Lord created the universe, it would have said in the bible that "in the beginning God formed the heavens and the earth," or my above alternative verse. Of course this can, and will, still be argued by scientists and atheists all day long, but the original wording, the people who recorded the creation by faith, and my faith, all tell me that we have it right *smile*


Ok, jumping to Psalm 139:16 is what really got me.


"Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

He saw our unformed bodies because He created us long ago. Before we were flesh and blood, we were His spirit. All of our days and all of our lives were "written" or "recorded" before any one of them actually came to be. He knew us, every part of us, our parents, our grandparents, etc.. He planned this from day zero.

When a fetus becomes either male or female, He begins "forming" their children while they are still in the womb. As women, specifically, each and every ovum that we'll ever have is there as we are growing in the womb. You lose one each menstrual cycle but never gain anymore. So when the doc said to my Mother "it's a girl!," Eli was already there, waiting for his time to be formed.. just like when my Grandmother heard the same words, I was there waiting for my time!! I'm sure I was waiting with a bit less patience than most but I was still there waiting. Isn't that crazy? I don't know about you but I'm so fired up by this.. my fingers are hitting the keyboard so hard I can hardly keep up with myself *giggle*



For me, and many can and will disagree, but for me, this solidified in me that Eli is most definitely not a sin manifested, but a formation of a divine creation. He was sovereignly thought of, tenderly loved and unleashed with nothing less than Holy force onto this earth, all in perfect timing.

When I look back on the first time I learned about Laminin so many months ago, (oh you thought I forgot, didn't you?), I was excited but I still had no idea. After learning just these two definitions, it took my faith and excitement to a whole new level... Not only did the Lord think us up, individually, but he put that into motion by truly creating our spirit man and planning our entire lives. He gave us this spirit, created us in His image, so that we could have a relationship with Him. Think about the people we have relationships with now.. it's because we have things in common. When we learn of God and accept Him, it's probably so easy to surrender because that part of us that is truly Him is simply connecting to the source.

I used to wonder how we could ponder things like this. How we were even able to have common thoughts, sometimes with perfect strangers, about something so incomprehensible. Now I know.. He intended for us to return to Him so much that He actually hid Himself inside of us, to call to us and nudge us through life until it was our time to return. And I am not surprised at all that he chose one of the many, MANY proteins in our bodies to spark our curiosity and guide us back to Him. Just like Paul said in Colossians 1:17, "He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together." This is so funny to me because, it tells me again of the amazing patience and creativity that God has! I mean, to inspire Paul (2Tim 3:16) to use the exact words in his letter to the Colossians that will (thousands of years) later be used to define this cross-shaped, crucial protein...that is something right there. Paul's letter to the church of Colosse was one of celebration of the riches of Christ, given to them at a time when their ears were full of false teachings. To me, it is pretty ironic that the passage that matches the definition is from this specific book. In our day, the main false teachings are coming in the form of not only alternative views and theologies, but also scientific fact and theory attempting to totally override the Word.

That tells me that He has sat back all of this time waiting for us to develop the knowledge to even desire to look into the body, the knowledge to develop the technology to be able to see into the body, and study the very basis of our human-ness, the desire to find the most fundamental units of our existence, the need to support a theory that we are possibly just an accident after an explosion in the dark.. He waited a very, very long time for all of this. Longer than we can fathom. He waited and waited and when we finally could do all of these things, what did we find? Him.



Showoff.



This is why I sometimes think God is a goofy little man with a very great sense of humor!




Popular posts from this blog

make me over//2013 ~ repent

unsettled // the september series