THE best blueberry muffins ever

As I mentioned in the beginning, I aspire to follow great culinary queens, but I often find myself lagging pretty far behind.  Whether I miss a critical stirring point, a temperature decrease, or cover of the pan, mishaps like this result in me cursing quite violently and labeling the recipe as a "dead door" to the bellies of my family. 

These muffins though.. oh did they ever make me look like a rockstar.




It was the first time I tried this recipe and I loooved them!  I switched it up a bit by using organic ingredients and adding the stuff with the '*' to boost their nutrition.  You could easily omit those and make the still pretty healthy original version.

I imagine that everyone's measurements can vary if you are like me and counting tablespoons because you are without a proper dry cup measurer at times, or that the heat may vary because stoves, I am convinced, are on a mission to drive women crazy.  Whatever the case, this recipe yielded very moist and light, yet powerfully packed muffins, and it did so a few times in a row.  That alone is enough for me to call this THE greatest recipe, ever.

1 cup rolled oats
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. honey or 5-6 ounces sugar (I used brown to help keep the moisture balance)
1/4 c. oil (I used canola)
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries without liquid, thawed (I used almost an entire pint lol)

Optional Ingredients
*1/4 cup wheat bran or wheat germ
*1/4 cup ground flaxseed or any other kind of seed
*2-3 tablespoons kefir or yogurt
*2-3 tablespoons applesauce or 1/2 cup mashed banana

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper baking cups.
In a large bowl, combine oats and buttermilk; Mix well. Let stand 5 minutes.
*add optional wet ingredients here*

Stir honey (or sugar), oil and egg into rolled oats mixture; mix well.

Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt;
*Add optional dry ingredients here*

Blend well.

Add to oats mixture; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
Fold in blueberries.

Fill greased muffin cups about 3/4 full.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Yields 12-14 delicious muffins

Enjoy warm with soy ice cream, the next morning with butter or alone for an energy boost anytime of the day. I prefer to eat just the tops and donate the stumps to the homeless....sorry, I'm a Seinfeld fan *giggle*


Popular posts from this blog

unsettled // the september series

heart-planting series//stir the ground

Advent Devotional Day 1, A Divine Disruption